2014. december 4.

Connecting Commodore floppy to Windows 8.1 laptop

CBMXfer, finished copying GEOS
Back at days, when I had last time a desktop PC at home (it was an AMD Athlon 2500+) in around 2000, it had a conventional parallel port. I was also able to boot it up in MSDOS 6.2, to make exclusive use of that mentioned parallel printer port to connect my Commodore 1541 floppy with StarCommander, and make file transfers back and forth. However, since than, I only had laptops, not having parallel or serial ports, but still wanted to connect my old floppy drives to PC somehow, to transfer those zillions of D64 images I collected from net, to test on actual hardware.

Laptop using Commodore 1571 drive
Now days, I need to say, the most comfortable way to command your Commodore IEC drives (Commodore 1540, 1541, 1570, 1571, 1581, etc...), is to get your hands on a ZoomFloppy device, also known as xum1541 cable. This is a micro controller based USB device, accompanied with drivers for Windows, and some command line utilities to do actual things with it. I also looked up the ebay to find some implementations, since I didn't want to bother making it myself.

I ended up buying 8_bit_fan's smaller implementation, not having IEEE-488 port. The product arrived without any software bundled with it, so I needed to look up, and download everything I needed to make it work. At least, it wasn't expensive. OpenCBM is compatible with this solution, however, the latest version didn't contain the support yet, so I needed to download a prepacked, xum1541 supporting OpenCBM verison, directly from ZoomFloppy's website. Installing the drivers wasn't smooth, since there is no official support for Windows 8.1. The problem is that the USB driver is not signed, so by default, Windows 8.1 won't allow you to install it. To workaround this problem, you can hit the restart while holding down the shift key, in the power drop down menu, on the start screen, to restart your computer in maintenance mode, and selecting the "Disable signed driver constraint" or similar by pressing F7, you can boot into an operating mode, where you can install the driver, even though it is not signed. Rebooting afterwards in normal mode/way, and you are done. Otherwise you just need to follow the steps in the manual you get.

I have found command line operation cumbersome, so I downloaded CBMXfer also. To make work properly, you'd better place it in the ZoomFloppy's version of OpenCBM bin directory, and run it from that location. To make it even more convenient, you should also download and install the latest VICE 6502 system emulator (C=64, C=128, PET, etc...), and copy c1541.exe from it's directory to the same directory where CBMXfer is.

This way I can access my Commodore 1541, 1570, 1571 drives with no hassle, and even brows files stored in the D64 disk images, brows the net, and display the screen of my C=64/128 simultaneously using AVerTV on my Windows 8.1 laptop. :)

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése